Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Nightmares and Leeches

So, I hear the trend is the older you get the less nightmares you have. This is definitely not true in my case.


Exhibit A:
Last night I had a really creepy nightmare. I was in my old bedroom back in Charlotte. It was the one I shared with my sister Andrea. Some of the details were really vivid. I was laying in bed with the covers up to my chin when I felt something wriggle under my right arm, close to my arm pit. I lifted the covers and I saw a leech attached to my arm. It was kind of small for a leech, and closely resembled a large caterpillar. I screamed. I tried to pull the leech off, but it was already attached to my skin, sucking my blood. That was weird. I could feel the leech sucking the blood from my body. I pulled harder, and harder until the body of the leech ripped off, but the head stayed attached. I remember the head. It was covered in blood. 
I was really scared, and suddenly I realized that there could be more. I lifted the covers off further and they started appearing. Out of thin air, one appeared on my neck, another on my left forearm and another on my right calf. I started panicking. 

Then I woke up. I was way freaked out, so I lifted my covers and checked everywhere for the leeches. I thought for sure they would show up. Ugh. Even now, when it seems so far away, I still feel like it could happen. When I saw a spider in the bathroom this morning, I screamed. 

I have never had a nightmare about leeches before. I don't think I've ever dreamed about bugs actually. Usually my nightmares involve tornadoes, or someone dying, or something I dread - like the guy I like at the time hooking up with my best friend - stuff like that. These leeches seem out of place. 

I looked up a few dream interpretations online, the one below was the most comprehensive. Do I buy it? Not really. However, I do think dreams can sometimes hold meaning, especially if we pay attention to them. What do you think? Do you think I have any friends harboring ill feelings towards me? Is a strange illness in my future? Do my leeches mean anything? Should I pay attention to my many nightmares?



Leeches in your dream bear a double significance: as energy and positive emotions' drainers - and here we have a negative significance - or, when used for medicinal purposes, as tools to help us improve our life and condition.
If in your dream you see leeches glued against your skin who suck out your blood and make you weaker, they stand for things, situations or people in your waking life that drain you out of your energy and resources and do not let you 'function' properly. The leeches may also stand for negative emotions and overall pessimism which dominates you and keeps you from evolving. You should try to eliminate these 'leeches' from your life if you want to achieve happiness and attain all your goals more quickly.
If you see your body covered all up in leeches which hurt you this means that the little sticky and disgusting animals represent your remorses or the 'stains' on your soul, your feelings of guilt, regret etc. Or that you are simply not at all satisfied with your body.
Leeches which bite you in your dream may also forewarn you of hidden danger which lurks just around the corner and is anxiously waiting to attack you. This may refer to false friends who plan treachery on you or to unhappy events to come up soon in your life. One way or the other, if not extremely careful, you will meet sorrow, grief and disappointment soon.
On the other hand, we should not forget that leeches have been used since centuries ago to drain infection from a sick body and make an individual healthy again. Therefore, the leeches may be the tools to 'suck out' the negative emotions and pessimism out of you and let you in a positive state of mind which is going to further allow you to accomplish and fulfill all your dreams and ideals.
But leeches against your body in order to cure you may also announce poor health and sickness. If they are glued against your body, this means that you are going to suffer soon from health disorders and if the leeches are stuck against the body of your friends, then they will experience ill health and complications.  http://www.inoutstar.com/dream-interpretation/leeches-165.html


3 comments:

  1. Maybe Otis sneaked in and was licking your arm with her dry tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When I saw a spider in the bathroom this morning, I screamed."

    Uhm, favorite quote ever. In context of this, of course, because that's not really so remarkable otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am had and artery in my brain cause a stroke recently and dreamt of smaller than normal leeches on my feet and ankles after hiking into some shallow water. Two guides helped me remove them. They were easy to pull off, but two or three latched on and were getting fat with my blood. The guides helped me with those. I was frightened never having leeches on me before but felt relieved they were all off and it didnt hurt too bad. I hope this dream means to me I will get better.

    ReplyDelete