Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

"Hallelujah"

You know how sometimes you just come across the right song?

I do.

I was sitting in the Library on Thursday, plugging away at research when this song came on my Pandora station. It was just, perfect. I looked it up on playlist.com and listened to it at least 20 times. I've listened to it several times everyday since.

I'm not exactly sure why this song has struck me so much. I did some research and originally "Hallelujah" was written by Leonard Cohen in 1984. It has since been remade by Jeff Buckley, Rufus Wainwright, John Cale, Kate Voegele (the version I love), and several others. It was recently performed by Justin Timberlake and Matt Morris during the Hope For Haiti telethon. It has also been used on TV shows such as House, The West Wing, and more.

As far as the lyrics, Cohen said of them: "All the perfect and broken Hallelujahs have an equal value. It's a desire to affirm my faith in life, not in some formal religious way but with enthusiasm, with emotion."

I like that.

Anyway, here is a recording of the Kate Voegele version:



Sometimes, songs just speak to me. I hope they do to you too.

2 comments:

  1. Score for Emma! I definitely love this song. It just speaks for itself. But I have to say, I'm a bigger fan of the Jeff Buckley version. Something about a male voice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course the strangest use of this song was in Shrek, as Shrek and Fiona frollicked through the meadow.

    ReplyDelete