Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Lesson Plan: Gulliver's Travels

So, I wanted to continue with my lesson plans, because I think it will help me next Fall when I actually begin the teaching program.

However, these past few days have been pretty intense with the finals and what not, so I have just done some research online and found a few ideas on how to teach students Gulliver's Travels.
Here is what I found:

1. http://school.discoveryeducation.com/lessonplans/programs/gulliver/ 
I like this one because it emphasizes the themes of Gulliver's Travels, and points out Swift's commentary on society. Too often in high school students get caught up in the plot and forget that these books are talking about their own times. This is especially important in Gulliver's Travels where Swift's main purpose was to evaluate the society he lived in. I also like how this lesson plan employs other important texts to emphasize the importance of social commentary in literature.

2.http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/from-seuss-jonathan-swift-936.html
This one is less detailed, but I like it because it emphasizes defining Satire as a genre. By teaching students about the whole genre of satire and then using Swift as an example you give them the tools to identify other works that fall within that genre. I also really like the use of Dr. Seuss. While it may seem gimmicky, I remember in high school really enjoying the connections my teachers made to non-literary texts. Plus, who doesn't like a little Dr. Seuss every now and then?

Unfortunately, these were the only two useful links that I could find after searching for a bit. All of the other links or lessons plans cost money, like $20. Ugh. Frustrating. This is definitely a plug for open access.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment