Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

The moment I knew I was going to be an English Teacher...

Today for my class I read some material by Francis Bacon and John Locke. As I was reading I just couldn't help but wonder how on earth these guys started thinking about this stuff...I mean, really, when did Francis Bacon decide to redefine the scientific method? When did he decide to work in science to begin with? Was he a prodigy? Or maybe it came to him with time?

I don't know.

But this got me thinking about my own life...(as all great literature does)
When did I decide I wanted to be an English teacher? Was it really at the beginning of Winter semester when I changed my major from history because I figured out that I get better grades in English classes than I do in History classes? Was my future really determined by a lower decimal point on my GPA?

No.
I remember when I first realized that I could make English my life, and it is actually a pretty cool story.

I approached my last day of AP English in anticipation. That class was one of the best classes I had taken, all because of my teacher, Mrs. Pasli. I could never figure out if she died her hair that deep redish-purplish color or if it was just a natural representation of the intense passion she held for literature; I figured God knew that red hair matched perfectly with the voice that had stirred up the words of King Lear in my mind until they finally made sense, and, more importantly, meant something.
I sought all year to earn Mrs. Pasli's respect. I actually read every single book assigned, I agonized over the practice essays we wrote in class, I studied endlessly for the AP test in hopes that I might not let her down and get that coveted 5. I needed, thirsted, and almost begged for her to notice me and respect me as a student.
The night before that last class, I realized that I earned it.

It was senior awards night, and I wasn't expecting much. I was number six in my class (or seven? I've forgotten), so I sat on the stage with the other over achievers while the awards were dolled out for the best football players, best musicians, best academics. As I sat on the stage watching the other students receive their awards I felt doomed to mediocrity. Then, Mrs. Pasli took the stage to give the award for the best English student. I didn't pay attention. I knew that my best friend, Lori, had been doing much better in the class, and I thought for sure she was a shoe-in for the award. I prepared myself for another "And the award goes too..."

But Mrs. Pasli broke tradition. Instead of just handing out the award, she talked about passion, about how an English class was, more than anything, about passion for literature. And, she said, there was one student who had shown true passion for literature.
She called my name.
Stunned is a great way of expressing my sentiments. Overwhelmingly joyous is probably better. She respected me! She knew I existed! Mrs. Pasli knew I cared!

She gave me a hug after the ceremony and whispered "I have something for you tomorrow in class."
So the next day, I was eager. Throughout the class I kept imagining what my gift was. My first guess was a book, or maybe a gift card to get a book. Or maybe it would just be a pep talk. I didn't know, but I counted down the minutes nonetheless.

Mrs. Pasli called my name as class ended and the other students were walking out. As I approached her she pulled out a small red-velvet bag with white draw string. From it, she took a golden chain with an attached pendant. The pendant, I noticed, had "ENGLISH" engraved on it and a few golden books engraved above.
"This," she said "was the English award I received my senior year of high school. It has traveled with me across the world, and I hope it does the same with you."

And I knew I would be an English teacher. Now I did get distracted for a time with thoughts of a career in History (which is now my minor), but I figured it out in the end. When Mrs. Pasli gave me that pendant, she taught me that teaching English not only offered the opportunity to engender passion for literature in students, but the chance to become someone who students could look up to, grow from and maybe, if I'm lucky, actually love. My passion, like Bacon's for the scientific method, was found and has been my goal ever since.

1 comment:

  1. That gave me chills...no joke.

    And I can't believe you thought I'd win! I'm pretty sure you beasted that class SO much more than me! I knew you'd win, you silly thing!

    And I really would love to see that necklace some day...since I had no idea you got it. ;D

    You're going to be an awesome teacher, erma jean.

    ReplyDelete