Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

White Mormon Female from the city of Charlotte, North Carolina

For my Multicultural Education class we are asked to gather three artifacts that help define our cultural background.

Because music can not only define a culture, but ourselves, I have decided to use three songs as my artifacts.

1: Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynard


 "Sweet Home Alabama" represents my cultural background because it refers to my Southern heritage. While I am not from Alabama myself, this song has come to be an anthem of the entire South, to which I feel a great connection. I feel like the South retains its own culture even after centuries have passed since the Civil War. The most notable difference was probably in my education. In the South, there are different elements emphasized, especially in History and English classes. Also, this song is notoriously "white" in nature, which definitely attests to my culture as a Caucasian female. 

2: Put On by Young Jeezy ft. Kanye West



"Put On" represents my culture because I come from the city of Charlotte. I was in the minority of both my middle and high school. Growing up a member of the national majority, but a local minority had a huge impact on my cultural heritage. In terms of education, I grew up with generally minority teachers, which means I experienced different teaching and discipline styles, and had different connections with my teachers. I also think I have a different perspective on teaching. If I believed all high schools were like the ones I observed in my 276R class then I would be in for a surprise later in my profession. I know what real discipline problems are; I've seen fights, I've seen blood in hallways, I've seen students yell at teachers, I've seen girls pull out weave. Because I went to my high school, I'm not under any illusions about perfect students or classrooms. I have been changed by growing up in the city. And really, I'm grateful for it. It makes me understand a little better.

3: Come Thou Fount by Sufjan Stevens



"Come Thou Fount" represents my culture because it is a very popular song in the LDS church. I grew up as a Mormon. This religion has shaped my whole life, my whole personality. The morals I have lived by since birth determined where I spent my time, who were my friends, and what I did. I would be a completely different person without the church! And, to be honest, the church has its own culture that I have always been a part of. I did, however, not choose the Mormon Tabernacle Choir version of "Come Thou Fount." I chose the Sufjan Stevens version instead because it indicates that I didn't grow up around a ton of Mormons, so I am a little different. Also, Sufjan Stevens kind of has an Indie feel about them, which is a part of my cultural background. There is a certain white culture, that really shaped what I like and do. Here is a cool site that kind of explores this white culture.

There you go friends! My culture in three songs.

1 comment:

  1. You never told me about the blood in the hallways, etc. I went to high school in the same school you did, although back then we were making history because the first minority students were bused into our school from the opposite side of town. I remember working to get the schools ready for kids to come because the school staff was on strike. Teenagers were setting up classrooms to get them ready for the opening of school. Interesting times. Now schools are being closed in Charlotte because it's too expensive to bus children long distances to bring them to school. Neighborhood schools are in, busing is out. CMS is closing the elementary school across the street from us because most of the kids are bused from all over the county for the magnet program, and it's too expensive to do that. A school for students with behavioral/emotional disabilities is scheduled to move in. CMS is closing eight other schools, although in the last ten years they have spent millions rennovating these schools they are now closing, including the school across the street. One of the schools to be closed is Harding High School. Yesterday, students left class and lined the streets in front of the school to protest the closing. Never a dull moment in Charlotte. When I was a senior, students and parents were protesting forced busing. Now they are protesting school closings because of long-distance busing. It's never been smooth sailing, educationally speaking, in Charlotte. I guess I'm amazed that my children have done as well as they have in college.

    ReplyDelete