Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Emma Verses the Sandworm [WARNING: RANT]

I need to say this:

I chose to do English because I like English.

I did not pick my major because it is easy.

I did not pick my major because I am afraid of science

I like science. In high school, I was the best in most of my science classes.

I more than passed the AP Bio test when most of the class failed it.

I didn't even study for it.

So, when you [yes, you, you chauvanist jerk who thinks the only real intelligence is that that is used in the "hard sciences"] hear that I am an English Education major, I hope you don't think it is because I am not as smart as you.

I could do what you do.

Could you do what I do?

Read The American Dream and write a 8-10 page paper for me. Read Julia Kristeva, and please explain to me what the abject means. Oh, and while your at it, please write a paper that places Virginia Woolf as an example of the artist archetype as explored in the short story "The Yellow Wallpaper."

Do that and tell me I'm not as smart as any physics major.

It's called using different parts of the brain.

It's times like these that I feel like double majoring just to prove that I can do whatever I want to do. I want to show the world that even though I haven't taken a science class since my freshman year, I can still learn science.

Anyone who wants to learn anything can do it.

Girl or boy.

Sorry. This is what results from grading posts about gender differences for two hours. Now I'm going to the bookstore to buy a book on computer programming and Strunk and White.

Hah. 

Oh. And just because I want to be a stay at home mom some day does not mean my education is less important. And I am not getting a degree just in case my future husband dies or anything like that.

I'm getting a degree because I am smart. And I want to be educated.

2 comments:

  1. Preach. I have quite a bit to say on this topic (the girl vs. boy thing), but it's really hard to express something that is definitely there in our culture, but also very nuanced. I'll just say that many people of both sexes "support" the idea of women being educated, but they do not truly believe it is AS important as the education of a man. But isn't it though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, you make me smile!

    ReplyDelete