Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Euphoria, but no Ben and Jerry's

So, my hectic life is slowly becoming something that resembles normalcy...and I am so EXCITED!

My first block classes are coming to a close tomorrow, and it feels so good. Or it will feel so good after those two finals are done that I'm procrastinating studying for right now...

but whatever.

Anyway, I feel like I have complained so much recently about my first block classes that I really haven't taken the time to share the awesome experiences I have had...and really, there have been a few.

Tonight, I will just share one Reason Why I Can't Wait To Be An English Teacher:

I spent three weeks at Mapleton Jr. High where I worked with what has to be one of the greatest teachers around, Ms. Heaton. She was, and is, fantastic. She has been teaching for ten years, and yes, ladies and gentlemen, she still has it! Her lesson plans were phenomenal, her enthusiasm was inspiring, and her classroom management made be green with envy...if only I could wake up tomorrow and have ten years of experience telling me how to get thirteen-year-olds to respect me...if only!

The only thing better than Ms. Heaton was...the kids. Really. If anyone tells you they are in teaching for a reason other than kids, then they are doing it for the wrong reason!

Here, let me 'splain:

I taught a lesson on Making Connections  between the text and self, other texts, and the world. The lesson went okay. I was sick, of course, so I coughed through most of it. And the lesson itself was lacking in creativity. At the end of my 75 minute lesson, I really didn't know if the kids got it. As I read out loud to the class, one kid started falling asleep. As I walked around to discuss with groups, a couple kids hadn't done any of the worksheet. When I asked questions, I had to beg for answers. I was pretty sure I failed. I missed some important step in the teaching process where the kids actually get what you're teaching them.

Bummer.

But then, the next day, Lisa came into the classroom in a particularly good mood. She's a pretty talkative little girl, so I only partially tuned in when she started sharing the details of the dessert her mom prepared for her last night. But then, I heard a change in subject...
"So my mom always makes me read for thirty minutes every night." She explained. I couldn't figure out who she was talking to. She was half way across the room, and no one seemed to be listening to her. Her voice, however, increased.
"I usually hate reading. But last night, I actually kind of liked it, because I kept on trying to make connections to me."

yes.
yes.
YES!!!!!!!!!!
I had to fight the urge to go up to that little girl and hug the daylights out of her. I grinned until my cheeks hurt the rest of the day and I think I almost pranced out of the room when I left that day.

And all I could think, all that went through my head was...

Holy crap. I'm a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment