Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Top Ten Books I Wish Santa Would Bring Me!

I fully admit that I rarely do Top Ten Tuesdays, but I love this week's topic; it's by far the easiest one to come up with.  Here we go:

1. Armies of the Night by Norman Mailer: I read most of this in my post-modern literature class and absolutely loved it! Unfortunately, I didn't get to finish it (Sorry, Dr. Matthews!) but I desperately want to. Luckily, I already know I am getting this one for Christmas, thanks to my sister Maurine, and online shopping!

2. The Elements of Style by Strunk and White: I curse the day when I sold this book back to the bookstore on campus - what was I thinking?! Of course, back then I was a foolish History major with no concept of the real world. Ohhh, how I have learned. Once, again though, Maurine has proven to be an excellent Santa.

3. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins: I've read the first two, but have yet to read the third. It's not that I'm totally in love with these books, but I think of them more as a hot commodity for my soon to come teaching days. Yes...let the children love me...and BOOKS!

4. The Help by Katheryn Stockett: I know this book is a pretty trendy one, but I firmly believe that a lot of book are trendy because they are actually good. Also, this book was recommended to me by several reliable sources, and I have been dying to read it since this summer. I just want to do it already!

5. The Autobiography of Mark Twain: Another really popular one these days, but hello! There's a REASON! It's Mark Twain! Can you say one of the most entertaining authors of all time? I would just love to get even a tiny glimpse into that creative mind. Not to mention, I am really trying to expand into biographies and autobiographies these days. I need some good ones to start out on.

6. The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson: I love Emily Dickinson! Right now I just have a pocket edition of her poetry. I would love a fancier edition to keep at home, or more accurately, tug around with me from apartment to apartment.

7. The Best American Essays, 2010: I love me some creative non-fiction essays, and I need more inspiration for an essay I am trying to write about pink pants. I have always been interested in this series of essay collections, because I wonder who really picks out what is "the best"; I wonder if I'll agree...regardless, I want the book!

8. The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks: I admit that Travis has infected me (pun intended) with a interest in zombies. While I have not seen many zombie movies, I am definitely intrigued by reading about them, and let's face it, if there's a zombie apocalypse, I'm gonna survive.

9. C. S. Lewis Collection: I joined the C.S. Lewis society this semester (in my head I referred to us as the Narnians), and I just fell in love with Lewis after reading a few of his works. I really would love to own the whole collection and be able to peruse his mind at my own leisure.

10. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert: I know, another trendy book, but I really am intrigued by this phenomenon. Plus, a lot of the English majors I have talked to really loved this book, so it can't be that bad. I figure, why not receive a little extra guidance in life, right???

Anyway, so that's all folks. What books do you wish Santa would bring you?

No comments:

Post a Comment