Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Lessons from an Aunt...

My current position: I am typing on the computer while my eight week old nephew, Cash, sits on my lap, clawing my arm with his surprisingly long baby-finger nails. My niece, Cora, has just finished pleading with me to give her ice cream, which she was forbidden after she knocked down a miniature kitchen while in yet another passion about food. My nephew, Bryant, is in the kitchen, repeating some sentence over and over again while my sister, Maurine, tries to coerce her husband, Erick, into loading the dishwasher with some dusty college psychology.

Hold on. The baby is crying.
Okay, all better. Thank you automatic swinging chair and fishy mobile.

After spending the past little while at my sister's house on vacation, I have a few excellent quotes I feel need to be shared with the world.

1. Cora got her front tooth chipped in half after running into a dryer door/Bryant. I went with my sister to the dentist office, the picture of sisterly moral support, and sat in the waiting room with Cora while Maurine went to feed Cash. An older woman enters the waiting room and takes and immediate liking to Cora (who doesn't?!). "Are you going to the dentist?" says the Kindly Old Lady. "Yes." (pronounced Yeeeeeeaaaasssss -- she extends the last word in every sentence). "Oh," KOL continues, "Do you have pretty little teeth?" Cora looks up and smiles, "Not anymore!"

2. Church. I go to primary with Maurine to hold Cash while she teaches sharing time (/avoid awkward Relief Society). The Bishop starts off primary with a stirring talk. Little Bryant, the precocious genius, answers almost every question. The Bishop asks "Bryant, what is Fast Sunday?" Bryant replies, "It's when you drive to church really fast because you missed Sacrament meeting."
I'm sorry Maurine, I'll try to wake up on time next Sunday!

3. Today we stopped at Office Depot for one of Maurine's fantastic coupon buys. Cora insisted on holding my hand the entire time. As she pulled me from one spot to another she started hopping slightly and, strangely enough, panting. Real panting, akin to an over excited dachshund.
"Cora," I said, "why are you panting?" She kept running, "It's because I'm so happy!"
That is the epitome of Cora.

4. Tonight, after a long, eventful day, I sat on the couch watching Cash while Maurine struggled to get Cora to bed (see above ice cream comment). Erick sat on the opposite couch and Bryant attempted to convince Erick to talk to him before he went to bed (A Small Allen Family Tradition: Erick will sometimes talk to Bryant and Cora right before they go to sleep. While this could be seen as an opportunity for patriarchal guidance, it usually ends up in giggles). Erick, tired from a long, 90 degree day, informed Bryant that tonight was not talking night. Bryant changed targets.
Bryant: Emma, will you talk to me?
Me: No.
Bryant: But why?!
Me: Because I talked to you all day.

Okay, so that last one was me. But you get the point.
My family is really great.

Main Characters:
Cora & Bryant

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! They're so big! I remember when they both were born. Does that make me weird since I've never met them...?

    You're such a good aunt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about baby Rex? Isn't he cute too? Although, I must admit that Bryant and Cora stories are more entertaining than Rex pretending to talk to himself on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some members of the Allen family are sensitive to being called SMALL. Especially 'lil Bryant. err I mean big Bryant.

    ReplyDelete