Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

fantastic fantasy =

Okay. It's confession time. That's right, be prepared for a mind-blower:

I have never read the Lord of the Rings before.
OH MY GOSH! I know! I am a disgusting, despicable, disturbing human being! While all of you other diligent readers were spending your high school careers reading important books such as the LOTR series, I was busy plucking through the library searching for the book with the pinkest cover and coolest font.

Despicable.

Dramatic?
A bit. But I really wish I had read them before. Now that I am diving in head first to the literary world of Hobbits and Tom Bombadil (who was not even in the movie, RIP OFF), I realize all that I have been missing.

Tolkien? Genius. No doubts about it. In my adolescent literature class last semester we talked about Tolkien's gift/obsession for languages and how the LOTR stemmed from that love. Tolkien believed that language and culture were so intertwined that when he decided to create his own language he wanted to create a culture to support it, and thence produced the Lord of the Rings series. His books in themselves show mastery of the English language, and an almost uncanny ability to create a new reality.

That's what I love most about his books. I have never ever been into fantasy much, but on occasion I come across a book or show that creates a world in which I am completely entrapped. They, as many of my professors put it, "suspend our disbelief." But, it's interesting, not all books or films do this for me. In my opinion specific, concrete details and endearing characters are what a fantasy world needs to trap an audience. Support for this opinion:

1. Harry Potter: That's right, I said it. And maybe I succumbing to some corporate machine, but anyone who can get millions of people to totally suspend their disbelief and think magic is cool again must have chops and be given props (intentional rhyme, thank you). Is the fact that Harry's cupboard under the stairs covered in spiders absolutely necessary to the plot? Or the moving staircases? No. And although everyone knows Harry got a bit angsty in the fifth book, we all still felt horrible for him when Sirius died. And who didn't read Ron and Hermione's first kiss more than once? Details + Characters = World!

More proof?
2.Avatar: The Last Airbender: Yes, some may say that this show is dorky (coughclosefamilymemberscough) but I promise it is amazing and believable. Did you know that penguin seals are awesome to sled on? No? That's why you need to watch the show! Really, this cartoon suspended my disbelief more than any other before. Their unique details, like interesting combo animals (like penguin seals), and a complicated political history that blends East Asian tradition with current problems creates a reality. On top of that, the characters are all round; they progress, the stumble, and they all have a sense of humor. If someone doesn't love Avatar Aang after watching the show just a few times, they lack a heart.

Now if you want an example of bad fantasy, just look at the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie. M. Night was almost offensive in his lack of development both in detail and in characters. I almost vomited when Sokka (incorrectly pronounce SOAK-A) had yet another close up on his large, expressionless face when Yue became the moon spirit. Why? I didn't believe it! That actor must have been taken off of the Twilight movies to perform that bad (incidentally, he was). M. Night must have gotten caught up in his high brow martial arts class, because he definitely forgot his audience on this one. The lack of details/characters + poor special effects = BUST, complete disbelief, no new world. The only good part of that movie was Dev Patel, and that's just because he's good looking and I know he can do better.

I have more proof of my theory (I wanted to branch into Eragon and the Hunger Games, and do I dare, Twilight?), but this post is a little long. Just keep this in mind if you ever plan on joining the scores of fantasy writers: Details + Character = WORLD!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you put down our high school "book club" for LOTR. I'm offended. And so is my femininity that I enjoy so much.

    But the Hunger Games series is awesome. So, I'll give you a teensy-weensy break...especially since I'm pretty sure I'm committed to re-reading HP and trying to get through the whole of the series this time!

    ReplyDelete