Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

I read literature like a professor...

Shock of all shocks, I finished another book! I think it has been a loooong time since I finished two books that I was reading for FUN, in ONE week. I am kind of proud.

And the book I finished?

How To Read Literature Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster.

Yeah. Doesn't sound like the most exciting read, huh? When I got it, my sister-in-law told me I was a nerd (a well established fact by now) and my friend Stephanie laughed at me.

Ouch.

Yet, I defend my choice! 1. The book was recommended to me by my very reliable co-english major, Nicole and 2. It was actually really entertaining.

It was by no means the fastest read I have ever had, and I did put it down a number of times to pick up other interests, but the great thing is, I didn't feel guilty about it!
While the chapters are entertaining (especially with titles such as "2. Nice to Eat with You: Acts of Communion" and "3. Nice to Eat You: Acts of Vampires"), they are broken up enough to allow the reader to take breaks, and maybe go practice some of the skills Foster teaches you. But, Foster is an interesting enough narrator that you actually come back to finish the rest.

The book focuses on symbolic patterns and archetypes throughout literature; it gives you specific symbols (such as rain) and hints at their likely meanings (rebirth). This is way handy when reading the classics, which are sometimes really tough to get.

One of the best parts of the book is the list of suggested reading in the appendix, where Foster tells a list of books that are important/good to read and short commentary on each. He even gives a list of important movies. For someone like me, who often gets lost in the long lists of What Every English Major Should Read, this list was really cool.

Overall rating: 89.9 (I find the specificity of numerals to be more helpful than letter grades)

For another opinion on this book, check out my friend Nicole's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment