Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Performance!

So today in class Amber and I performed a scene from A Midsummer Night's Dream. I thought it would be a good idea to write the process and my thoughts from the performance as a part of my self directed learning.
When Amber and I decided to do something together, I knew it would be to my advantage to do something Shakespearean. I've been up to my neck in Shakespeare and I figured I might as well take that one step further to actually performing a piece, so as to gain even more appreciation for Shakespeare's works. I thought it would be a good idea for Amber and I to do a scene with a lot of female interaction, so we decided to do something from A Midsummer Night's Dream. I found the scene where Helena and Hermia basically get into a cat fight and after talking about with Amber, we decided that would be very entertaining for the class. In the scene, however, there are two boy parts along with the two female parts. So we thought that it would be even funnier if we played both the female and male parts. Also, the doubling of parts allowed us to introduce a new aspect to the play with the use of props or costumes. The props would add a new element to our production in that we would have to figure out how to best use the props so as to add to our performance and the understanding of the audience.
While actually rehearsing, Amber and I found the parts to be confusing even with the mustaches to distinguish between females and males, so we decided to add another aid to the audience by looking a particular direction. When I was talking to one of Amber's characters I needed to look in her direction and when I was talking to one of the characters I was playing myself, I would look in the opposite direction. We wrote marks on our script to indicate which direction we should look and when our mustaches should be up or down.
Over all I think our performance went rather well. I wish we had been able make the character changes a little cleaner, but I think it worked okay. If there was anything I would have done differently, I would probably say that I would have added more body language. I would have made it so that when I was the male part, I had one stance, like I would stand taller with my chest puffed out, and then when I was the female part I would have put my hand on my hip or something to indicate a more feminine persona. Other than that, I was very satisfied with our performance. Hope everyone else enjoyed it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment