Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

As You Like It

So, I've recently had the good fortune of reading As You Like It by William Shakespeare. I had even less knowledge of this play than I did of Midsummer Night's Dream, so I must say that reading it was exciting for me.
My first thoughts while reading AYL were some of...well, disappointment. I originally read it just for the story, and while it was, of course, entertaining, I just thought that the plot was quite weak. The conflict was pretty conventional, and I felt like the climax wasn't climactic in the slightest. So, I went to my Shakespeare class pretty much not expecting anything wonderful, because the play was, in my opinion, super lame. I was quickly corrected in my thinking.
The first thing my teacher pointed out was that in AYL, the plot was thin. But then he made a series of suggestions and outlined several possibilities that made me think that Shakespeare meant for the plot to be thin. It seems to me that through AYL Shakespeare wanted to show the power of language. My favorite example of this is when in one of the first scenes, Orlando is about to go and wrestle Charles. He stops to speak to Rosalind and Celia. Rosalind, after talking to Orlando for like two seconds, falls in love with him. Why, my teacher asked, did that happen? Then, we (or at least I did) realized that it was because of the eloquence of Orlando's language that caused Rosalind to fall in love with him. I loved the idea of that, and that language can serve as a means to begin love.
I also found the character of Rosalind to be extremely interesting. It's not everyday in Shakespeare that you find a female who is both swoony and in control. Rosalind is, in herself, a strange mixture and I don't always comprehend what her role was meant to imply. Was it meant as an example of the power of women and they're capabilities by placing her as the heroine? But then why was she so quick to fall in love and be swooned by Orlando's charm? It's very interesting.
So yes, I'm in process of re-reading As You Like It, so I'm hoping to find even more interesting stuff and if I do then I will definitely post it! thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment