Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

A Doll's House

So today in class we discussed A Doll's House and I really wanted to make a comment but by the time I thought of it the subject had changed, so I thought I could just post it on my blog.
In class we evaluated A Doll's House in comparison to Sophocle's play, most notably Oedipus the King. Most people seemed to view A Doll's House as a tragedy, but on a smaller scale than the tragedy of Oedipus. I certainly agree with this perspective. However, I can also see the difference between Oedipus and A Doll's House as being one of interpretation. With Oedipus, there is really only one way to view the outcome, as a tragedy. There is no way to work around that. When someone finds out that they've killed their father and slept with their mother, there is no other word for it than tragic. However, in A Doll's House, one could look at it in a different, less tragic way. It's true that it's sad Nora is leaving her family, but couldn't it be viewed as a positive thing that she is going to find her true self and discover who she really is after being controlled by men for so long? Now, I don't completely support this idea, I mean, I'm not supporting women leaving their husband's for a little personal time. I'm more trying to point out that there are different ways to view a Doll's House, as in without a sense of tragedy, while in Oedipus tragedy is really what you get.
I also thought that the purposes of the plays were very different. Oedipus seemed to have the purpose of Catharsis, to make you grateful for your life and to give a moral to the audience. In A Doll's House, there doesn't seem to be a direct moral, like "beware of pride", given. The moral of the story seems to be way more subjective. Also, I don't think A Doll's House has the purpose of making you grateful for your life, but more aware of the dangers that could come into your life. This to me is a fundamental difference between a sad realistic drama and a tragic drama.
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment