Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2009

English Classes

So, Dr. Burton asked us to look at classes for the English major just to investigate some of the ways this unit will help us in the future. Well, I'm not an English major, I'm actually an English Teaching Minor, so my choice of classes is fairly limited in selection. I looked up all the classes I need for my minor, and there are nine required courses. Engl 251 fulfills a whole requirement. I am already in the class Engl 232, the Shakespeare class, so that fulfills one of my other eight required classes. The other classes are American and British Literary History, Literature for adolescents, and some grammar teaching classes. Truthfully, I was a little disappointed that my minor included so few literature classes, I was really hoping for some more, but I suppose since I am planning on being an English teacher, I have to focus on the actual teaching part some. I am excited for the American and British Literary History classes. My sister-in-law was an English Teaching minor at BYU (she graduated two years ago) and she said she really enjoyed those classes while she was in school. I'm planning on holding off on the British Literary History class for a while because I really want to study abroad in Europe and I think that that class would be a good one to take, especially if I were to go to London or something like that.
Like I said before, I was a little disappointed in the lack of literature classes required in my minor, but I can already see how the drama unit is going to help me in my major. Firstly, it has already been very helpful in my Shakespeare class. Having two drama centered weeks was very interesting and I thought it started me off in the right direction in both classes because the interpretive techniques I was learning could be applied to both classes. I also think that this drama unit will be very helpful in the teaching part of my minor because, let's face it, aren't teachers acting as much as any actor? In class we had an informational performance about the Crucible. We discussed how when you are presenting information you are putting on a performance as much as when you are acting in a play. Therefore, this whole unit, which has had a lot of emphasis on the performance side of drama, has been very useful in learning how to perform in front of a group. Over all, I can see that this drama unit has definitely helped prepare me for my future endeavors as an English Teaching minor.

No comments:

Post a Comment