Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Humanist Education

I really loved Dr. Burton's lecture on Humanist education techniques. As a future teacher I love to hear about new ways of teaching, and ways to make learning about seemingly boring things more exciting. When Dr. Burton talked about how they made language a game in the Renaissance, I felt that the same thing could be done now. I fully plan on applying that to my lesson plan for this unit.

Also, I am taking a creative writing class right now, and I realized that the concept of amplification could be really helpful in that class. I am working on a personal essay right now, so I took the first line to my essay and amplified it a few times until I got something better.

Ex:
I have size eight feet.

My shoe size is eight.

The size of my, slightly above average, feet is eight.

Are my feet size eight?

Size eight! They're huge!

No, they aren't nine, they're a size eight.

The size of my foot is a whopping eight.
I really hope that doesn't bother my date.

My shoes are, unfortunately, a size eight.

My feet are smaller than her's, they're an eight.

My size eight feet are as big as an elephants!

I have size eight feet; average. I have never been called "big foot," "gargantua," "twinkle toes," or "flippers." In fact, I don't think anyone has ever taken much notice of my feet.

While most of these lines were some what useless, just playing around with the language, and thinking of the sentence in a nontraditional way made it a lot more exciting, and easier to write.
I am also starting a poetry unit in my writing class, so I think amplifying could help me again.

Here are some feet for inspiration:

No comments:

Post a Comment