Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Friendly Books

John Milton said:
"For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them."

AKA

Books rock!



They are more than dead sheets of paper, but little bits and pieces of the people who write and read them.

SO...here are some books/poems that are a part of me, they hold just a little piece of my soul in their pages (or as Dr. Burton put it, they are my friends):

- Sarah Dessen's The Truth About Forever
- E.E. Cummings' "anyone lived in a pretty how town"
- Harry Potter 1-7 (I grew up with Harry!)
- Gerard Manly Hopkin's "God's Grandeur"
- John Keats "Ode to a Nightingale"
- Jane Austen's Emma
- Louisa May Alcott's Little Women
- Emily Dickinson (anything, I love her)
- William Wordsworth "Lines from Tintern Abbey"
- The Loudest Little Lion (the first book I ever read)

and many more I just can't think of. But what about you? Who are your book-friends? Or maybe you have movie friends? I do (500 Days of Summer, for example) Or perhaps you have some music friends? (Breakdown, by Mae)

What I love about art is that it's more than just something to look at, or read, or listen to; it is a part of you.

Too corny? Maybe, but very very true.

I found this cool word cloud of "anyone lived in a pretty how town." Look up the poem and tell me if the cloud helps to understand it at all. :]


I got it from this way cool blog: http://www.greenchairpress.com/blog/?p=688

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment